Thursday, February 11, 2016

Jess Gillam's World

February 2016


“One of the best young saxophonists in the UK” 
- Snake Davis

I have had such a great month! I have mainly been preparing for my BBC Young Musician Category Final Audition next month and have also performed a concerto with the Junior RNCM Symphony Orchestra.
Jess rehearsing 'Out of the Cool' by Dave Heath
with the Junior RNCM Symphony Orchestra
On Saturday, I performed Dave Heath’s “Out of the Cool” with the Junior RNCM Symphony Orchestra at the Royal Northern College of Music Concert Hall in Manchester conducted by Juan Ortuno. As I have said in previous blogs, I absolutely love performing concertos and I find the experience truly enjoyable – there is something about standing in front of an orchestra and performing a piece with so many different colours and sounds. Having rehearsed the concerto with the orchestra considerably more than if I was performing with a professional orchestra, I felt as though I knew the orchestral parts well and I felt very involved with the music.
Being filmed for BBC Young Musician
Some of the rehearsal for the concerto performance was filmed by BBC Young Musician to use in the backstory before my performance in the Woodwind Finals. I have been spending a lot of my time over the past month preparing for the competition, which will be televised in April/May. I have had to find a balanced practice routine where I can stay energised and focused throughout the whole of the session to ensure that I don’t practice bad habits.
Jess performing with John Harle
I have had lessons with John Harle and Rob Buckland and they have both helped me to find a practice routine that is focused and beneficial! As well as filming the concerto rehearsal, the BBC also filmed one of my lessons with John Harle in Canterbury, an interview with Rob Buckland and they also came to film in Ulverston (my home town) to interview me. I have enjoyed the filming very much and I am very interested to see how it will be edited!
I will be spending the next month focusing, researching and practicing my programme for the BBC Competition!

LINKS

Follow Jess Gillam on Facebook
Follow @jessgillamsax on Twitter

Yanagisawa Saxophones UK

Vandoren UK

No comments:

Post a Comment