This flapjack is the best I’ve ever tasted. Obviously, after making it for years and years, Val was the master flapjack-baker, but it’s such a simple recipe that it’s hard to go wrong with it. To achieve the best results, it’s essential that you use jumbo oats and that you don’t overcook it – it should be gooey!
- 4oz/115g butter
- 4oz/115g Demerara sugar
- 1 (generous) tbsp Golden Syrup
- 5oz/140g jumbo oats
- Pre-heat the oven/Aga (Val always used an Aga) to 170oC/325oF/GM3
- Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan.
- Stir in the jumbo oats.
- Grease a baking tin and spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin a little before dividing into squares.