Thursday, January 14, 2016

Jess Gillam's World

Part 6


“Down to earth, funny and cool...what was not to like?”
– Gramophone Magazine

As the new year begins, I am looking ahead to a busy and exciting 2016 - Happy New Year to everybody! 
I spent most of December preparing for several auditions, so this is just a short blog update. December always seems to be busy with auditions for me! I find that preparing for auditions is a very similar process for preparing for a concert because my end goal is the same - to be able to give the best performance I'm capable of. When I am actually in front of a panel however, I find the experience very different to performing to an audience in a concert. I find the performance so much more intimate and this makes me more nervous in a way. I even find playing in a small concert venue extremely different. I try to forget where I am as soon as I play the opening note and I attempt to totally immerse myself in the music and focus as much as possible and this nearly always helps me.

BBC Young Musician of the Year 2016

One of my auditions in December was for BBC Young Musician of the Year 2016. In 2014, I was a woodwind finalist in the competition and the recipient of the BBC Walter Todds Bursary for showing exceptional promise. I am delighted to have reached the Woodwind Category Finals again and I will be one of five woodwind finalists competing at the Royal Welsh College of Music in Drama in Cardiff. The competition takes place in early March so the coming months will be spent preparing and practising my programme as much as possible. I will also search the repertoire and find out as much as I can about its origins to help me to put the music into context.

'Out of the Cool' by Dave Heath

I am also preparing to perform "Out of the Cool" by Dave Heath with the Junior Royal Northern College of Music Symphony Orchestra in early February so this means that lots of music is stuck on my bedroom wall to be memorised - I will let you know how it goes in my February blog!

LINKS

Follow Jess Gillam on Facebook
Follow @jessgillamsax on Twitter

Yanagisawa Saxophones UK

Vandoren UK

No comments:

Post a Comment